In order to sync my nanoc site to my provider's server, I have installed sitecopy. Sitecopy requires one of the ports packages. I chose fink, but Darwinports should also work I guess.
First, I downloaded the Xcode and iOS developer software from Apple (registration required as an Apple developer, but free). This installed without issue.
Then, I followed the instructions on the Fink website. The instructions are quite clear I think. I tried to fill in as many local servers as possible while running
./bootstrap. It would be a shame to transfer everything over the Atlantic cables, right?
What doe surprise me, is that many packages were installed, which I actually already have, many already built into OS X. One that jumped out to me, was python. I can only assume that this is done in order to have all libraries in control of Fink. I just really hope having some programs around twice, does not cause conflicts. fingers crossed...
Now for the real stuff
Once sitecopy was running, it actually ran very quickly. I copied an example rakefile From here and followed the directory structure suggested by it:
nanoc/ site/ content/ layouts/ sitecopy/ sitecopyrc
So, that is: no dotfiles, all files visible to the filesystem. Of course, this is not the default for sitecopy, so we specify the sitecopy rc file locations in the rakefile.
Then, I created the sitecopyrc as follows:
site my.pretty.name server ftp.server.url remote / local ~/nanoc/pragtich/trunk/output/ username myFTPusernae password thepassword protocol ftp
Where the folder after
local is the nanoc
I then used the initialization from the example rakefile:
sitecopy -r sitecopy/sitecopyrc -p sitecopy -i my.pretty.name
And crated a 'compile and upload' rake addition to the
desc "compile and upload." task :co do system 'nanoc co && sitecopy -r sitecopy/sitecopyrc -p sitecopy -u my.pretty.name' end
So now, each time I edit something in my page, I only have to go...
...and the entire thing is recompiled and synchronized to the server.
When I started using
git, I needed to add a line to the
sitecopyrc. I added several of the disturbing dotfiles (which my
server was not allowing me to upload) to the
exclude list. The
sitecopy/sitecopyrc now looks something like:
site my.pretty.name server ftp.server.url remote / local ~/nanoc/pragtich/output/ username myFTPusernae password thepassword protocol ftp exclude .DS_Store exclude .git
This saves a lot of error messages, which eventually led to a failing sitecopy.